Friday, February 24, 2006

Fishing Village

News has come that I will be living in a small breezy fishing village called Woe (pronoucned, "way")!! If you click on the link below, it should take you to a map of Ghana. Woe is quite a small town/village so it cannot be found on the map but if you look at the very south-eastern corner, you will see a city called Keta. Woe is very close to Keta (from what I hear), so it will give you an idea as to where I will be staying. Closer to the coast means more breeze and less heat which is excellent for me because temperatures are averaging at 32 degrees during the day (with 80-90% humidity).

http://www.pro-international.de/ghana.gif

Some of you have been asking what my living quarters will be like?! I read a small description in the Volunteer Handbook that should give a relatively good picture. The Cross Cultural Solutions (CCS) compound in Woe countains a nice house with 7 bedrooms that can sleep two to four people in each room. There is a communal dining area, sitting area, and computer workstation. We have access to the computer and printer for work, though there is no internet access (that requires a bus trip to another area). Four showers, four western style toilets, and four hand-washing sinks are separated from the sleeping and dining quarters. There is electricity most of the time, though power outages do occur periodically throughout the country. There is a small market in Woe, Keta and Anloga on every fourth day and basic toiletries and supplies are available in the local shops. Woe now has its own market that is not far from the CCS house!

This is all so incredibly exciting but would be even MORE exciting if I didn't have to study for my final on Monday. I'd better get back to it but if I get any more news, I'll post it later on! Cheers!

Kelsey

2 Comments:

At Wednesday, March 01, 2006 11:31:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kelsey,
This is a neat way to send your info. I hope you were able to finish up everything at school (no question with you doing a great job), and I wish you the very best in your trip. Hope you crammed a few more clothes in your bag :-) I look forward to hearing more when you are there.
Take Care
Celina C

 
At Thursday, March 02, 2006 12:30:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Kelsey,
To bad I couldn't make ur party!! I hope you have an awsome time (don't break anything) and send pictures!!
enjoy
W

 

Post a Comment

<< Home