Wednesday, April 05, 2006

New sleeping attire

One of the most important things that I have learned in Africa thus far is to just roll with the flow. Since I last wrote, Sarah and I have been attacked and taken over by a number of large insects and possibly a rodent or two. On Monday, we were getting ready for bed when we looked up above Sarah's bed and there was an ENORMOUS spider. Now, I realize that in the moment of fear a person can overestimate the size of spider but I am being as objective as possible. The spider was quite possibly the size of my palm and really very hairy. After a quick game of rock, paper, scissors to see who would deal with it, Sarah valliantly climbed atop her bed with a cup in one hand and a post card in the other in attempt to catch the freaky beast and set it free far far away from our dwelling. And she did just that! She caught it (amidst some screaming) and handed it down to me. It was what we call the "African relay" as I ran like the wind once I had it in the cup. I ran and ran and ran a bit more to a pineapple tree far from the compound and gave it a toss. To ensure that it didn't stick to me in any way (it was dark, I couldn't tell) or follow me back to the compound, I ran fast and swatted at my clothing. When I got back into the room I heard a terrifying scream come from Sarah once again. There was ANOTHER spider (even slightly larger) but this time ON my bed. Great, on my bed. What could be better? As it crawled closer to Sarah and I the screaming got a bit louder. I know, for all of you who think we're pansies for screaming, you didn't see the size of this thing. It was no "daddy-long-legs" or whatever we have at home. It was large, extremely hairy and potentially dangerous (it's Africa, it could be dangerous!) so there was a bit of screaming. All of a sudden Wisdom, the night guard, ran into our room with a small broom and said "wwwwwhat? Wwwwwwwhat essss it?" As soon as he saw it, he began beating the heck out of the poor thing. Unfortuante for the spider, luck for the Canadian. That wasn't the end, though. As I was talking on the phone to home I felt a faint crawling sensation. Thinking it was a piece of my skirt brushing up against my leg, I didn't attend to it. Later, I looked down and saw the most incredibly terrifying cockroach on my leg. Yes, a cockroach. I won't even begin to describe the new level of fear but since then, I have decided that night time is a scary time for bugs, and have thus changed my sleeping attire. As entertaining as it is for all of you to think, I now sleep with my t- shirt tucked into my pants, my pants tucked into my socks and my mosquito net tucked into every possible nook of the bed in attempt to keep any creepy crawly things off my body and from feasting on my flesh. At least I haven't had a mouse nibble on my face like another volunteer experienced! That's one reason to sleep with a mosquito net!

Old news alert: we had a solar eclispe last week. I forgot to blog about it but it was my first solar eclipse experience. Sarah has some good photos that I'll bring home for all to see cause there's no other way to explain it. Completly amazing!

Clinic update! I've met with the Director of Public Health and the Assistant of Public Health to facilitate the opening of the clinic. I've been diligently working with a nurse who has been educated in English but also speaks Ewe to translate an information sheet on blood pressure. It will be given out to participants in the clinic. Documentation cards are being printed in Ho and will arrive this weekend with one of the CCS staff and referral cards to the local hospital will be ready by Monday. I've been asked by the public health staff to also consider chat with participants about family planning. It's apparently a big issue where I am and it's very interesting to see the rural views clash with the educated urban views. The tradition in the village is to have many children to help with farming and fishing however, nurses and doctors are being taught to counsel families to have only two or three children to provide better care to those few. I will consider the idea but one thing at a time!

I will be traveling to Accra this weekend to access a good computer for registration for university and such. I am also going to attempt to post some photos of the trip thus far but don't be too excited just yet. I'm not sure how probable it is to happen. So until then, good luck in the exams and papers for those of you still in school! Cheers!

4 Comments:

At Friday, April 07, 2006 6:09:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Kels,

Be sure none of your new "friends" come home!

 
At Friday, April 07, 2006 7:52:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Kelsey,
I love reading about your adventures! You amaze me. I hope to see you when you come home.
-Kristen from the "Original CBL"

 
At Friday, April 07, 2006 9:23:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I cant wait to see some pics and I'm sorry that you had to encounter big spiders...I woulda crapped my jammies. But I'm a sissy. In other news, J.C.'s baby was due 3 days ago!!!! so Hopefully he or she comes along soon, Im excited. Can't wait till u get back to the home turf. Your Buddy....D-wreck

 
At Saturday, April 08, 2006 5:00:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello All,

I have 2 pictures form Kelsey but she is unable to post them, email me if you want copies:

v_restivo@hotmail.com


Vanessa

 

Post a Comment

<< Home