Wednesday, May 24, 2006

"Time does not change us. It just unfolds us." Max Frisch

When I woke up this morning I couldn't get the idea out of my head that I've only got two days left. In some ways it feels as though I arrived last week and have just gotten settled and in other ways it feels like an eternity since I last had a cold glass of milk and a bed not made of thin foam. This is the first time that I've lived away from home - granted, I had an amazing lady cook meals for me and another to wash my bed sheets but the rest of my life was directed and carried out by myself. I can honestly say that it's been one of those utterly amazing and unique experiences that is difficult to sum up or put into words. I've never had to say goodbye to a group of people that I've grown incredibly close to, knowing that I may not see them again. The last day and a half will be well celebrated, however, as Ghanaians are rarely a somber or sad group of people even when it comes to impending departures or sudden losses.

Over the past few months I have gone through some totally amazing, stressful and even heartbreaking situations. As a result, some of you received late night phone calls, random emails or heaven forbid, BOTH! Although I was very far away and in a very different world, I've never felt so supported. I owe an incredible thank you to absolutely everyone who sent emails, letters, advice, packages of Beef Jerkey, new malaria medication, photos, post cards, toys and stickers. With more gratitude than I can show... thank you.

There is no doubt in my mind that saying goodbye to the children will be the toughest part about leaving. Since I arrived I've been completely amused and entertained by the kids next door. At first I played with them and treated them like the children that they seemed to be but the more time I spent with them, the more they surprisingly taught me. Raymon, for example, is roughly 5 years old and I assumed he was consistent with the 5 year olds at home who require assistance to put their shoes on the correct feet, are dependent on their parents and completly unaware of anything that may injure them in their environment. I was quickly proven wrong, and learnt to trust Raymon as if he were my tour guide through a tretcherous rain forest. Although we may be inept in each other's language, pointing, tapping and screeching are all he needs to get his point across. Thanks to him, I know which ants will bite me, which lizards are poisonous, how to spot a cockroach nest, good mangos vs. bad mangos, and last but not least, where I can find amazing coconuts. All he has ever wanted in return was a buddy to play football with or someone to give him a hug or lay next to on the sofa underneath the overhang as it rains. And the others are just as animated with their various personalities and quirky behaviors! Maushi (3 yrs) runs with her arms glued to her sides and usually leans awkwardly to one side. Midaow (2 yrs) refuses to wear pants and would play hide-and-go-seek from dawk to dusk if he could. Kobla blows kisses through the fence and waves incessantly with both hands when I leave for work in the morning and Yenu (1.5 yrs) has managed to pee on me every time I hold him. I could continue on for pages but you'll see their personalities in videos and photos shortly. Plus, I assume you get the point - the kids have been an unforgettable sounce of fun and I can't ever get tired of them or their silly games.

Besides the kids, I will be sad to say bye to the staff at CCS, the entire village of Woe and my good friend, Sarah. The villagers have been incredibly accomodating and helpful when I've gotten lost on runs in the morning or disorientated at market. They've created a setting where no one feels threatened or unsafe and I'm extraordinarily thankful for that. Sarah has been with me through the highs and the lows and has been an incredible friend through everything. Quite literally, she is the first person that I see when I wake up and definitely the last person that I say goodnight to. Although sharing my room with a complete stranger was at first a bit iffy, she broke any awkwardness with her entertaining Australian accent and hilarious dance moves. There was not one sad day that would end sad, as she'd crank up some 80's hit as loud as she could on really small speakers and make a fool of herself until I'd beg her to stop because it hurt too much to keep laughing. It will be nice to be back in my bed but lonely to wake up without my dear roomie.

I do not lie when I say that I could continue on for hours about the wonderful place I've lived in, all the amazing things that come with it and the incredible list of simplicities that I have found a new appreciation for, however, I will end it all here. As I prepare to leave for home, I will look at my inevitable departure not as a closing door but more of an opportunity to bring it all back in some way, shape or form. Besides, as they say in Ghana, it's "Miadogo," (we shall meet again), ... not goodbye.

"Time does not change us. It just unfolds us." Max Frisch

2 Comments:

At Thursday, May 25, 2006 1:24:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Blog was fantastic! What an amazing accomplishment to have done it all on your own! Everyone at home is so proud of you. Have a safe trip home!

-AL

 
At Monday, May 29, 2006 11:08:00 PM, Blogger Jenn said...

Welcome home Kels, see you at Summer League and you can tell me all about it!
Jenn

 

Post a Comment

<< Home