Saturday, April 22, 2006

And then there were 2...

This weekend is a very big weekend of change. One of the volunteers left last night and three others leave tomorrow, leaving only Sarah and I from our original group! We will have to hold down the fort as a minority, as we will be sharing the house with four new volunteers arriving tomorrow. Despite the grave track record of minority governments, Sarah and I perceive this one to be success! ;) Haha, just kidding - we won't make their lives too hard but just difficult enough, as the others initially did to us when we arrived. We're debating either hiding all the cutlery except two forks, two knives and two spoons and telling them that they have to eat with their hands until the next market day where they can purchase their own silverwear OORR wait a few days before telling them about the gigga bugs!

Clinic wrapped up in the Dzakobi community on Friday. It was definitely a welcoming community, mostly of elders and some small families. Near the end of each clinic day, an elder would send over a grandson with a bowl of mangos, pineapples or coconuts on his head as a small thank you. Usually the child brought along a large knive to cut the fruit if we so desired to eat it at the time. When I first arrived I was quite frightened to see small children walking around with very very large knives but as I settled into my surroundings, I saw the functionality of such. The machettie (sp?) is a multi use tool for the kids. They trim off dead branches from their pineapple palms, cut the grass or weeds in their gardens, or sit by the roadside with a bowl of pineapples attempting to sell freshly cut fruit for some extra pocket change. There is no way that a 6 year old at home would be able to operate an 18" knife without cutting off at least one extremity but that's just the reality of the situation - at home no small child is "mowing the lawn" with a knife, doing garden chores or selling fruit for extra money. Just one of the many small differences ....

Anyway, the week is behind us and we are greeted by a GLORIOUS Saturday morning! It's hothothot and blue skyed! A perfect day for the pool, I'd say! As I was saying above, it's the last night for a few of the volunteers so we're having an afternoon pool party and an evening at Happy Corner. If I have yet to describe the amazing Happy Corner, forgive me! It's a small "spot" (as they call a restuarant/bar here) that is about a 20 minute walk from the house. It's a cement patio with one plastic table and rickety chairs with a door made of corrugated tin that scrapes loudly on the cement as you enter. Cornelius is the mate there and does an exellent job of serving us Cokes and FanIces. I'll take a moment to let you in on the magic of FanIce. It is the Ghanian attempt at icecream and although it somewhat resembles the vanilla flavor, it also has a "cake frosting" sensation to it as well. Now many of you may think that's a bit on the odd or disgusting side but when you lack the simple pleasures of vanilla icecream, any "vanilla/cake frosting" attempt will do. Just like everything in Ghana, it comes in a bag. You use your teeth to tear open the corner and suck it out from there. When we travel in tro-tros we rarely pack water, as our backpacks are so small and the water is quite heavy. Each time the tro-tro stops, about 15 kids run from all directions with bowls on their heads shouting "PUUUUURE WATER." Sticking my hand out the window with a 1000 cedis bill ($0.10) will get me an ice cold bag of pure water. To drink it, make a small hole with your tooth and drink away! Pure Water and FanIce are just two of many liquids/foods that come in a bag. One can also get a shot of whiskey. The name of the product? Whiskey in a Bag! HAHAHA! It's the most fowl thing you've ever smelt or if you're so unluckly to have been offered it from a fellow Ghanian, tasted. So, as I make my way to the pool this afternoon, I will most likely stick my hand out the window with 3500 cedis to get myself both a FanIce ANNND a Pure Water - what more could this day have in store for me?!

6 Comments:

At Sunday, April 23, 2006 8:31:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI KELS!!!

So i completely just found your blog by accident- i googled the word Ewe and yours was one of the results! I can't believe it. Anyway reading your entries have made me cry- thanks a lot! no, but really, i miss you guys- and ghana- SO SO much! I've tried to call a few times but it always gets disconnected or doesn't go through. I'll keep trying though. I can't believe its just you and sarah left! go easy on the new guys haha. How are the kids?! I can't even look at their pictures without getting teared up. I know they're in good hands though :)
ok sorry to write all this for the public to see, but i just had to say hi- email me next time you get a chance and fill me in on what's going on over on the other side of the atlantic! and give sarah a hug and kiss for me... and ben and esther and dzifa and comfort and kofi and THE BABIES!!! love and miss you my dear! <3

 
At Sunday, April 23, 2006 12:45:00 PM, Blogger Mea said...

Alright, so you got my info, but I don't have yours. So instead of email, you get a comment!

Greeted the new volunteers today... made sure I told them all the important tips, like eat Fan Ice and watch out for the two cows in Woe. ;) Hehehe. Seriously though, they seem like a great group. One of them is terribly worried about keeping in touch with home. Another says her hair dryer is a necessity. On a serious note, overall they are very nice and ready to take charge. The one from Tanzania has some interesting stories to share. The one that will work in Keta Hospital is very nice and I told her you are the one to speak to about all that good stuff.

Hope your weekend with the elephants is fun and hopefully I run into you before I leave...

Have fun!

 
At Monday, April 24, 2006 1:17:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kels,
My brother started taking mefloquine because it will soon be malaria season in Afghanistan. He reacted very... adversely. I think you had to take an anti-malaria drug as well (maybe not, I am blonde). If so, what is a normal reaction? Take care!
Ciao!
NURS 294 Heidi

 
At Monday, April 24, 2006 1:59:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kels,
The Big Squeeze (a.k.a. A+) came home with the massive trophy this weekend! A+ effort by all, you were missed though! Sounds like your having a great trip, have fun and we'll see you soon!
jenn

 
At Tuesday, April 25, 2006 10:16:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Kelsey!:

Sounds like you're still in the midst of the great adventure. I suppose your head will be somewhat flattened from all the carrying stuff by the time you get back! I'll be up in Edmonton wknd after next for the bb grading, see some of your henchpersons there, no doubt.

Keep an eye out for a fellow named Ray Harrison, he's from the Calgary Health Region and he is a sexual health educator who I think got to the country about a week ago. Five-five or so, slim, black hair. Excellent guy. We worked together at one of my positions.

Anyway, soak it all up and enjoy!

Blaine

 
At Thursday, April 27, 2006 1:44:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keeeelllssssseeeeyyyyyy!

SOOOoOoOoOooooo, hi! I'll be honest and admit I haven't kept up to date with all your entries here, but I'm going to try to get through them all today :)

Sounds fantastic, and I'm glad you're having a good time - I just read about your tro-tro experiences; sounds VERY familiar! Vietnam was full of that type of transport, people, efficiency, hot, and smelliness wise :). A story for you: When I was in Vietnam, we had to drive from CatBa to Hanoi, which is about a 2.5 hr drive (which of course took us at least 4 hours) in a contraption that sounds much the same as a trotro - a small bus that gets PACKED with wayyyy too many people, and then picks up anyone along the way. Of course, it's scorching hot, blasting bizzare vietnamese-pop hybrid music, with people stench wafting everywhere. So it's muggy and hot and there aren't any breaks to streach your legs, so people get sick right? Right. Well this little kid sitting 2 seats away from me (she was about 4) decides that she's had enough. No crying... just one big amazing puke all over the floor and bus ride neighbours. Definately got some splashdown on my legs. And it stayed there for the hour and a half we had left in the ride (thank the good lord it didn't happen earlier in the ride!)

Yeh, so crammed bussrides in ridiculously hot countries can ALWAYS be made worse by adding the warm, warm puke smell to the mix. Poor kid, poor passengers :) I think you can imagine what that would be like :p

Ps. I'd like to meet your ninja husband

The clinc sounds like quite the undertaking; good luck with that!

Drumming... im making an Akido cuban drum in June, so you'll have to show off your drumming skillz :)

Kelsey it all sounds so amazing, im insanely jealous you're out there in such a foreign, magical country. I'm very much looking forward to some picture sharing experiences when you get back!

Kay, im done for now, I really enjoyed reading all your posts, and i'll keep checking back ;)

-Tristan

 

Post a Comment

<< Home